Thursday 5 May 2011

A Long Night.



Last night I had another dream.
Richmond was flooding.
The streets were filling with a relentless tide of water.
The higher I climbed in the building of glass and steel the higher the water level became.
How many dreams of waves and water have I had in my life?

As a child I saw in my dreams a giant mountain-high wall of water that stretched over the horizon as far as I could see.
I was a speck on the beach....looking out on Port Phillip bay from the sands at  St.Kilda.
A tiny figure observing the impossible.

In my childhood there was little talk of tidal waves and I had never heard of a 'tsunami'.
Yet I can remember how vivid and identical the image of that giant wave was in each wild dream.

And now, fifty years later the wetness is closer. Invading the streets of my neighborhood.
Keeping me on the run...up the stairs.
Climb higher...higher.





No comments:

Post a Comment