Monday 31 October 2011

5th Contemplation: The Certainty of Death | Great Middle Way

5th Contemplation: The Certainty of Death | Great Middle Way:

'via Blog this'




Whoever has lived and will live
Must discard this body and depart.
Cognizant of death, the wise become realized.
They come to abide in the dharma
And practice.

All the transient beings that have lived
In the past have died.
All who will live in the future also will die.
Among those who presently live as well
No one will escape death.

From the time of my birth until today
How many who were close to me have died?
How many who were strangers or enemies have died?

There is no reason to be confident
That I shall remain when they have all departed.

I must quickly recognize the truth
That has been realized by the holy ones
Who exert themselves at every moment.

In this short life
I will no longer postpone spiritual practice
From avoidance or apathy.



No comments:

Post a Comment